Almond is a nut which is very healthy and nutritious for you. It is a good source of dietary fiber, protein, vitamins, minerals, healthy fats and antioxidants. Almonds also contains the essential fatty acids omega-3 and omega-6. Almonds can be eaten as delicious snack or add them in salads or you can simply eat them raw. Research studies have found that almonds have various health benefits. The Botanical name of Almond is Prunusamygdalus.which is popularly known as "Badam" in India.
Below are Some Health Benefits of Almonds:-
1. Regulates and Reduces Bad Cholesterol:- Handful of almonds in your daily diet is a great and effective natural remedy to lower and reduce bad cholesterol level in the body. Almonds are a good source of energy and nutrients. Almonds contain monounsaturated fatty acids like oleic and palmitoleic acids and bit of polyunsaturated fats that helps to lower the "bad cholesterol" or "Low Density Lipoproteins" (LDL) and thereby increase the "good cholesterol" or High Density Lipoproteins (HDL). Monounsaturated fatty acids helps to prevent various coronary artery diseases and strokes by maintaining healthy lipid profile in the body.
2. Almonds are Good for Your Heart:- The monounsaturated fat, potassium, magnesium and vitamin E content in almonds helps in maintaining a healthy cardiovascular system. Almonds can prevent and reduce the bad cholesterol effect on the body. Vitamin E acts as an antioxidant which helps to reduce the risk of heart diseases. Almonds can also help to reduce CRP or C-reactive Protein that causes artery-damaging inflammation. Almond is also a good source of folic acid and hence, it helps to reduce the homocystein level that causes fatty plaque build-up in the arteries. Almonds can prevent the risk of many heart diseases and heart attacks.
3. Helps to Regulate Your Blood Pressure:- Almonds can help to reduce your blood pressure. The presence of high potassium content in almond regulates the blood pressure. Almonds have low sodium content.
4. Helps to Stabilize Blood Sugar Levels:- Almonds helps to lower the rise in blood sugar levels and stabilize it. Almonds regulates the blood sugar, improves the insulin sensitivity and reduces the chances of type 2 diabetes risk. It's a healthy snack for diabetic patients.
5. Almonds for Weight Loss:- Nuts like almond aids to weight loss. Almond is a good source of fiber, protein and healthy fats. Almond satisfies your appetite and hence, stops you from further cravings and over-eating. Therefore, if you are trying to shed some pounds, include almonds in your daily diet.
6. Good source of Vitamins and Minerals:- Almond is a rich source of minerals like phosphorus, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, manganese and selenium. It also contains very important B-complex group of vitamins. For example : Niacin, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B-6 and Folates. Almonds are an excellent source of Vitamin D and E.
7. Good source of Protein:- Almond is high in protein. They provide highly absorbable protein.
8. Almond Boosts Energy:- The essential nutrients like protein, manganese, copper and riboflavin helps to generate energy in the body.
9. Good Source of Vitamin E:- Almond is rich in Vitamin E. Vitamin E is an antioxidant which helps to prevent cardiac diseases and cancer. It can also help to reduce the chances of cataract. Vitamin E is essential for healthy tissues and blood cells.
10. Helps to Prevent Constipation:- As we know, almonds are good source of fiber. Fiber rich foods are good for digestive system and also helps in the prevention of constipation. Drink plenty of water after eating nuts like almonds.
11. Good in Pregnancy:- Almonds when consumed regularly during pregnancy helps to reduce the incidence of birth defects in newly born babies due to folic acid or folate content.
12. Good for Skin Care:- Almond is a natural skin care remedy. Almond can be use as an exfoliating scrubs or face pack. Almond helps to cleanse the skin deeply and improve skin tone. Almond skin care products are available in the form of powder, paste, lotions, oil, creams, soap or exfoliating scrub. Almond oil is often recommended for massaging new born babies. Almond oil is one of the most popular essential oil for body massaging and is widely use in many massage theraphy such as aromatherapy since it helps to relieve stress. Almond face pack helps to prevent blackheads, pimples and other skin problems like acne. Almond is also known to prevent premature aging. It is especially good for treating dry, dull and sensitive skin. It nourishes and moisturises your skin. The vitamin E content adds to more advantage since vitamin E is needed for healthy glowing skin.
13. Good for Hair:- Almond oil is one of the best popular home remedy for beautiful hair. Massage your hair scalp with almond oil to treat hair related problems like dandruff, hairfall, dry hair, sry scalp, etc. Massaging with almond oil nourishes your hair. It can reduce and control hairfall, premature graying of hair, adds lustre as well as makes your hair longer, stronger and thick. It can help prevent split ends too.
14. Get Rid of Dark Circles:- Dark circles is one of the most common beauty problem. Rub almond oil and massage it gently around the area under your eyes. This will help to reduce or lighten dark circles by increasing and improving the blood flow to the area under your eyes. Dark circles can happen due to lack of sleep, unhealthy diet and insufficient nutrition or excessive stress. Therefore, get some adequate sleep, relax, eat nutritious food, drink plenty of water and if the problem is due to some medical conditions such as iron deficiency, etc, make sure to consult with your doctor for further advice.
15. Good for Brain Power:- Almond contains many essential nutrients required by the brain for proper development. Soaked 4-5 pieces of almonds in water overnight and have it in the morning. Soaking almonds in water makes them softer and more digestable. Almond enhances intellectual ability. The presence of brain boosting chemical known as "Phenylalaine" in almond helps in the development of cognitive ability. Make sure that you are not allergic to nuts.
16. Strengthen Bones:- Almond contains calcium and magnesium which is essential to keep your bones healthy and strong.
17. Good for Anemia:- Since almond is a good source of iron and magnesium, it is very useful for the treatment of anemia. Another advantage is, almond is full of essential nutrients which helps in the development of blood cells and improve circulation and oxygen levels in the body.
18. Prevent Cancer:- Almond is rich in antioxidants. Vitamin E which is in the form of alphatocopherol that may help prevent diseases like cancer. Almond can help to protect the body from free radical damage. Almond is low in saturated fat. It is rich in fiber content which has detoxifying effect and thereby improves the movement of the food through digestive system more efficiently. It cleanse out the system and hence, helps to prevent colon cancer.
Note:- Almond is one of the most nutritious nuts. If you are lactose intolerance, you can crushed almonds into fine powder and mixed it with warm water. This provides good nutrition. Almond milk is one of the popular plant-based milk alternative which is natural and hence, it is dairy free, so it does not contain lactose. It is easily digestible too. However, some people are allergic to nuts. If you are one of them, make sure you speak with your doctor first before making any changes in your daily diet. For health reasons, choose unsweetened almond milk that does not contain added sugar.