Kokum or Garcinia Indica is a fruit which is famous for its healthy and refreshing cool drink. Kokum juice is not only delicious but it also has so many health benefits.
1) Kokum fruits contains antioxidant which helps to prevent oxidative damage to body cells. According to some Research, garcinol has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and hence it can inhibit intestinal cancer cell growth. This garcinol is present in kokum fruit.
2) It promotes cell regeneration and repair.
3) Regenerates fat metabolism.
4) It contains Hydroxy Acetic Acid (HCA) that helps to decrease the rate of conversion of excessive carbohydrate into fats.
5) It also helps in suppression of fatty acid synthesis and lypogenesis and thus, bringing about weight loss.
6) It is known to fight cholesterol strengthens the cardio-vascular system and stabilizes liver function.
7) Kokum aids to weight loss. The active ingredient Hydroxy Acetic Acid (HCA) has been found to be a good anti-obesity agent as it suppresses lipogenesis and converts excess calories into glycogen thus bringing about weight loss.
8) Kokum juice improves the digestion and appetite. It is also used to treat piles and dysentery.
9) It helps to reduce fever and allergic reactions.
10) It can relieve you from gastric problems like acidity, flatulence, constipation and indigestion.
11) It has anthelmintic and anti-ulcer properties.
12) It is low in calories and contains no saturated fats or cholesterol and is rich in dietary fibre.
13) Fresh kokum fruit is a rich source of B-complex vitamins such as thiamin, niacin and folates.
14) Kokum juice improves the digestion and appetite. It is also used to treat piles and dysentery.
15) Kokum juice is very popular in India especially during hot summer. It is delicious and has a cooling effect on the body. It is very refreshing drink. It not only quenches your thirst, but also helps to prevents dehydration and sunstroke due to heat.
Kokum juice is a healthier and far more refreshing option as compared to commercial bottled drinks. Kokum is dark purple in color and has a sticky surface with curled edges. Kokum fruit is usually dried first and is available in the market as dried rind. Kokum is an Indian spice when added to a curry, it gives out a natural pink or purplish color. It is tangy and soury in taste as that of tamarind which is widely use in the regional recipes of Gujarat, maharashtra and several South Indian states. It is also use as one of the ingredient in many chutneys and pickles.
How to prepare a delicious Kokum Juice?
Note : You can experiment with different flavors like ginger or mint leaves if you want to but that's optional. You can skip jeera powder and pepper powder if you don't like the taste.