Cucumbers are cool and very refreshing to the body. It is healthy, low in calories and fat. You can either have it fresh as salad or as a pickle.
Cucumbers have numerous health benefits. It contains important minerals like Potassium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Sodium, Calcium, Iron, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Selenium and small amounts of other minerals. It also contains important vitamins like Vitamin C, Niacin, Thiamine, Riboflavin, B6, Folate, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Vitamin E and some other vitamins in small amounts. It also has Molybdenum and Tryptophan.
Health Benefits of Cucumber:-
1. Keeps Body Hydrated:- Cucumber is a natural hydration. It is made up of mostly water i.e. 96% water content. The high water content food such as cucumber protects your body against dehydration and heat exhaustion. It helps to regulate the body temperature and flush out toxins from the body.
2. Cucumber Aids in Weight Loss:- Cucumber is low in calorie, fat and high fiber content.
3. Helps to Control Blood Pressure:- Cucumber is a good source of potassium, magnesium and fiber - Effective for regulating both high and low blood pressure.
4. Good Source of Dietary Fiber:- Cucumber is an excellent source of dietary fiber. High fiber diet regulates normal bowel movements and prevents problems like constipation, colon diseases and hemorrhoids.
5. Cucumber Aids in Digestion:- Daily consumption of fresh cucumber juice is helpful in treating problems related to digestions such as acidity, heartburn and gastritis.
6. Cucumber for Peptic Ulcer:- Cucumber is cool and soothing to the body. Its a watery fruit and a good source of dietary fiber - a perfect food for those who are suffering from peptic ulcer. Cucumber juice helps to reduce the burning sensation in the stomach, digest your food and remove hydrochloric acid.
7. Helpful for Treating Pyorrhea:- Cucumber is very effective against treating a gum related disease known as "Pyorrhea". Pyorrhea affects the root of the teeth. You can either take fresh cucumber or drink cucumber juice for the benefit.
8. Cucumber is Good for Skin:- Cucumber consists mainly of water, vitamins and minerals which makes it an essential part of your daily skin care routine. It hydrates and nourishes your skin. It enhances and lightens your complexion. Cucumber calms and soothes the skin when applied to sunburn. Cucumber improves your skin health. Eat fresh or drink its juice for a beautiful, healthy and glowing skin.
9. Cucumber is Good for Eyes:- The presence of ascorbic acid and caffeic acid in cucumber can reduce the level of water retention which in turn can reduce the puffness of the eyes as well as reduce the swelling around the eyes. It also helps to soothe and relax the tired eyes. Cucumber is one of the best known home remedy to cure dark circles.
10. Cucumber Checks Diabetes:- Studies has shown that cucumber contains a hormone which is required by the cells of the pancreas (Beta Cells) to produce insulin. Also, the Glycemic Index of cucumber is found to be zero.
11. Cucumber is a Natural Diuretic:- The high water content in cucumber acts as a natural diuretic and therefore, helps in the elimination of toxins and waste products from the body through urination. It is also said that, regular intake of cucumber helps to prevent certain bladder or kidney stones. Cucumber is also recommended for pregnant woman to promote urination. People who suffer from diseases like gout, arthritis and rheumatic conditions should include cucumber in their daily diet. It helps to eliminate toxins and wastes from the body and lower the uric acid levels. Cucumber juice mixed with carrot juice is recommended.
12. Cucumber Reduces the Cholesterol Level:- A compound called "sterols" in cucumbers may help to reduce cholesterol levels. As we know, cucumber is a good source of dietary fiber, the Fiber reduces the absorption of dietary cholesterol and attaches itself to bile which is made of cholesterol. This means that you'll be excreting extra cholesterol in your bowel movements. Cucumber is considered as a low-energy dense food which means you can eat a lot of cucumbers and keep your calorie intake low. You will feel fuller on fewer calories and this will help you maintain a healthy weight and control your cholesterol levels. The highest concentration of sterols is in the skin/peel of the cucumber.
13. Promotes Healthy Hair Growth:- Cucumber is an excellent source of silica and sulphur. Regular intake of cucumber can help in promoting healthy hair growth. It will keep your hair lustrous. For best results, you can mix cucumber juice with carrot, lettuce or spinach.
14. Cucumber for Nail Care:- The silica content in cucumber helps to promote and maintain strong healthy nails. It will prevent splitting of nails of the fingers and toes.
15. Fights Cancer:- Cucumber is popular as one of the cancer fighting foods.
16. Digestion of Proteins:- An enzyme called "Erepsin" is found in cucumber which helps in the digestion of proteins.
17. Kill Tapeworm:- The cucumber seeds are considered as a natural home remedy to treat and expel tapeworms in the intestinal tract. It is also effective in the treatment of swellings of the mucous membranes of the nose and the throat.