Mint leaves are edible. You can either consume it as raw or cooked. The fresh mint leaves are used as one of the ingredient in many Middle Eastern and Indian Cuisines. It is used in biryani, soups, salads, chutneys, curries, in desserts like ice cream, chocolates etc. Dried mint leaves can be added to your tea. Popular products like toothpaste, chewing gum, breath freshener, mouth wash and skin care and beauty products etc use it as one of the main ingredient. Peppermint and Spearmint Essential Oil provides many uses and health benefits.
This aromatic herb is grown everywhere around the world. There are different varieties of mint such as Peppermint, Spearmint, Chocolate Mint, Apple Mint, Wild Mint, Orange Mint and so on. Among these, Peppermint and Spearmint are the most common ones.
Mint leaves contains good amounts of:-
- Vitamins such as A, C, B12
- It has Folic Acid, Thiamine and Riboflavin
- It has Minerals such as Calcium, Copper, Fluoride, Iron, Manganese, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium and Zinc
1. Boosts your Health:-
Mint is good for the body. It is low calorie and low fat food. Mint is a powerful antioxidant - rich in Carotene and Vitamin C. Mint is also a good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin B, Vitamin D, Vitamin E and Minerals like Sodium, Magnesium, Copper, Iron, Zinc, Phosporous, Potassium, Calcium and Dietary Fiber.
2. Relieves Indigestion :-
- Soothing effect on your digestive system, ease the symptoms of indigestion and relieves stomach cramps/pain.
- Natural remedy for acidity problems.
- Get rid of flatulence.
- Good for patients suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
3. Helps Relieve Cough and Asthma:-
The strong aroma of fresh mint is very helpful and effective to relieve respiratory congestion by opening up the nose, throat and lungs allowing he/she to breathe and relax. Good for those who are suffering from asthma as it is a good reliever. Cooling and soothing effect on throat - one of the reasons why mint is used in inhalers and medicines. It is anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial.
4. Helps Fight Cancer:-
Although it has not been sufficiently proven by research, it is said that, mint can help prevent various types of cancers - skin cancer and lung cancer.
5. Prevent Headache:-
Strong refreshing aroma of mint acts as a quick remedy for headaches. Lots of Ayurvedic and Herbal medicines are made from mint such as balms for headache. Mint leaves or pudina contains menthol that can help relax the muscles and give you relief from headache.
6. Help Ease Symptoms of Morning Sickness or Treat Nausea:-
Mint is an excellent remedy to treat morning sickness or nausea. Eating a few mint leaves (Pudina) or smelling some leaves of mint every morning, could help the pregnant women to get past the nauseous feeling and cope better.
7. Stress and Depression:-
Mint extract is used to beat stress and depression. It is often used in Aromatheraphy since it helps to rejuvenate the mind and release a small amount of serotonin in the brain. Mint relaxes the body and calms the mind.
8. Helps Relieve the Pain associated with Menstrual Cramps:-
Natural remedy for menstrual cramps. It also helps to relieve nausea associated with the condition. Drink a cup of mint tea and sip it several times throughout the day. Mint leaves helps to purify the blood and since it also has an anti-spasmodic effect it soothes the stomach and ease the symptoms of menstrual cramps.
9. Promotes Weight Loss:-
This herb can help you lose some extra pounds in a healthy manner. Mint is low in calorie. It has good amount of dietary fiber. It helps to boost your metabolism which aids in weight loss.
10. Helps to Improve Your Brain Health or Memory:-
According to a research, consuming the mint leaves on regular basis helps to improve mental alertness, increase your memory retention power and other cognitive function of the brain. In otherwords, it can boost our overall brain health.
11. Promotes Good Oral Care:-
Mint leaves is anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory. Chew mint leaves on a regular basis inorder to improve your oral hygiene and dental health. Mint leaves could help you against bad breath. It inhibits the growth of bacteria and cleanses plaque deposition naturally.
12. Improves Your Skin Care Routine:-
- Mint has an anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. It's an excellent antiseptic and a good skin cleanser. It is use for curing many skin infections.
- It soothes and calms the irritated itchy skin (Mosquito bites). It helps to reduce inflammation and promotes healing.
- Good for dull and dry skin leaving it hydrated and vibrant. It can help maintain the moisture in your skin. It makes your skin soft.
- Natural Salicylic acid - Helps to prevent and get rid of skin problems like acne, pimples and blemishes.
- Get rid of blackheads with a mint-leaf solution. Use it as an astringent or toner. It helps to shrink the pores.
- It can be used as a foot moisturizer. Mint-leaf mask can be used on the feet directly to get rid of cracked and rough skin (Heels). Repeated applications maybe necessary.
- Natural treatment for oily skin.
- Mint is a diuretic and therefore, helps in eliminating toxins from the body.
- Mint is helpful in reducing the growth of bacteria and fungus in the body.
- Helps to purify blood.
Side Effects of Mint Leaves:-
- Mint leaves are generally safe for consumption, but too much consumption may lead to some side effects such as heartburn, dry mouth, nausea, and vomiting. Those who are suffering from Gastroesophageal Reflux disease (GERD) should not be using mint to soothe their digestive issues as home remedy. Mint can act as a trigger for GERD symptoms.
- Menthol oil should not be use in infants or small children to use topically as it may cause breathing difficulties.