Magnesium is a vital mineral that exists in the human body in significant amounts. It's the fourth most abundant mineral in the body. It plays a very important role in the structure and function of the human body, such as :-
- Cellular Energy Production
- Electrolyte Balance
- Nervous System Stability
- Muscle Relaxation
- Heart Rhythm
- Brain Function
- Bone Health
Note:-Magnesium is involved in more than 300 different biochemical reactions that affects every cell in the body. Overall, magnesium is essential for your body's optimum health.
Magnesium and Cardiovascular Diseases:- Magnesium is vital for a healthy heart function. According to Dr. Carolyn Dean, the author of the book "The Magnesium Miracle" :-
"The heart is a very large muscle. Calcium causes muscles to contract and magnesium causes them to relax. If the body is deficient in magnesium, the heart can go into spasm causing a fatal heart attack; beat erratically causing arrhythmia; or beat too slowly (bradycardia) or too quickly (tachycardia)."
"Magnesium helps prevent blood clot formation and muscle spasms of the heart blood vessels, which can lead to heart attack. One major cause of angina is spasms of the heart's coronary arteries, which are lined with smooth muscles that react to a deficiency of magnesium."
"Magnesium helps prevent muscle spasms of the peripheral blood vessels, which can lead to high blood pressure, another risk factor of heart disease."
"Magnesium helps prevent calcium buildup in cholesterol plaque in arteries, which leads to calcification, or hardening of arteries (atherosclerosis - the number one cause of death in the US)."
"Your body requires magnesium to maintain healthy elastin, which provides essential elasticity in your arteries. Loss of elasticity is a risk factor for heart disease. Loss of elasticity causes inflammation of heart blood vessels, which interferes with blood flow and leads to heart disease."
"Magnesium deficiency symptoms include leg cramps, eye twitching, fatigue, constipation, insomnia, anxiety, racing heart, and chest pain."
"High blood pressure can cause stroke and heart attack. Tension in the smooth muscle of blood vessels throughout the body due to magnesium deficiency is a major cause of high blood pressure."
"Magnesium is a natural calcium channel blocker, allowing the proper amounts of calcium in balance with magnesium for a healthy heart."
"Magnesium is a natural statin (anticholesterol medication). It is necessary for the activity of an enzyme that lowers bad cholesterol (LDL) and triglycerides and raises good cholesterol (HDL)."
Article Source :- http://www.nutritionalmagnesium.org/news-press/406-magnesium-deficiency-...
SOME OF THE BEST FOOD SOURCES OF MAGNESIUM:-
Bran:- Brown Rice, Wheat, Oat
Seeds:- Pumpkin, Sunflower, Pumpkin Seeds, Sesame seeds
Nuts:- Almonds, Cashews, Walnuts, Hazel Nuts, Pecans, Peanuts, Chestnuts
Dairy:- Eggs, Milk, Butter, Cream
Fruits:- Dried Peaches, Dried Prunes, Dried Figs, Dried Apricots, Dates, Avocado, Banana, Raisins, Cherries, Strawberries, Plums, Oranges, Pears, Cranberries, Pineapple, Grapefruit
Vegetables:- Spinach, Swiss Chard, Beet Greens, Collards, Parsley, Kale, Okra, Beans/Peas, Seaweed, Artichokes, Kidney Beans, Black Beans
Seafood:- Oysters, Salmon, Clams, Conch, Shrimp, Prawns, Herring, Mackerel, Haddock, Winkles, Cockles, Crab
SIGNS OF MAGNESIUM DEFICIENCY:-
Some of the early signs of Magnesium deficiency are :-
- Loss of Appetite
- Nausea & Vomiting
- Fatigue & Weakness
- Anxiety & Irritability
Also, the ongoing magnesium deficiency can lead to more serious symptoms like :-
- Numbness & Tingling
- Muscles Contractions & Cramps
- Abnormal Heart Rhythms
- Coronary Spasms
- Personality Changes
Note:-Most of the above symptoms are general and it can be because of some other medical conditions besides Magnesium deficiency. Therefore, have a doctor evaluate your health concerns and then, take proper appropriate measures and treatments.
The Magnesium Miracle - You can buy this book at Amazon.com
In The Miracle of Magnesium, Dr. Carolyn Dean, an authority on this mineral who has used it with dramatic success in her own practice, explains the vital role that magnesium plays in the control of many serious ailments–from painful muscle spasms and bladder problems to traumatic brain injury and complications of pregnancy and childbirth. Inside you will discover
How diets and lifestyles can create a dangerous magnesium deficiency
Which magnesium-rich foods keep your vital organs healthy and which to avoid
Why other nutrients, including calcium, need magnesium to become potent
What vitamins and minerals work with magnesium to treat specific ailments
Why prescription medicines, such as birth control pills, can deplete magnesium
Which magnesium supplements are best for you
Whether you need help with a serious health problem or merely want to protect the good health you already enjoy, The Miracle of Magnesium will answer all your questions. It may even save your life.
Magnesium (Mg) Deficiency Triggers or Causes the Following Conditions and Taking Magnesium can either Eliminate or Help Alleviate these Conditions :-
1. Anxiety and Panic attacks:- Magnesium (Mg) normally keeps adrenal stress hormones under control.
2. Asthma:- Both histamine production and bronchial spasms increase with Mg deficiency.
3. Blood Clots:- Mg has an important role to play in preventing blood clots and keeping the blood thin-much like aspirin but without the side effects.
4. Bowel Disease:- Mg deficiency slows down the bowel causing constipation, which could lead to toxicity and mal-absorption of nutrients, as well as colitis.
5. Cystitis:- Bladder spasms are worsened by Mg deficiency.
6. Depression:- Serotonin, which elevates moods, is dependent on Mg. A Mg-deficient brain is also more susceptible to allergens, foreign substances that can cause symptoms similar to mental illness.
7. Detoxification:- Mg is crucial for the removal of toxic substances and heavy metals such as aluminum and lead.
8. Diabetes:- Mg enhances insulin secretion, facilitating sugar metabolism. Without Mg insulin is not able to transfer glucose into cells. Glucose and insulin build up in the blood causing various types of tissue damage.
9. Fatigue:- Mg-deficient patients commonly experience fatigue because dozens of enzyme systems are under-functioning. An early symptom of Mg deficiency is frequently fatigue.
10. Heart Disease:- Mg deficiency is common in people with heart disease. Mg is administered in hospitals for acute myocardial infarction and cardiac arrhythmia. Like any other muscle, the heart muscle requires Mg. Mg is also used to treat angina, or chest pain.
11. Hypertension:- With insufficient Mg, spasm of blood vessels and high cholesterol occur, both of which lead to blood pressure problems.
12. Hypoglycemia:- Mg keeps insulin under control; without Mg episodes of low blood sugar can result.
13. Insomnia:- Sleep-regulating melatonin production is disturbed without sufficient Mg.
14. Kidney Disease:- Mg deficiency contributes to atherosclerotic kidney failure. Mg deficiency creates abnormal lipid levels and worsening blood sugar control in kidney transplant patients.
15. Liver Disease leading to Liver Failure:- Mg deficiency commonly occurs during liver transplantation.
16. Migraine :- Serotonin balance is Mg-dependent. Deficiency of serotonin can result in migraine headaches and depression.
17. Musculoskeletal Conditions:- Fibrositis, fibromyalgia, muscle spasms, eye twitches, cramps and chronic neck and back pain may be caused by Mg deficiency and can be relieved with Mg supplements.
18. Nerve Problems:- Mg alleviates peripheral nerve disturbances throughout the whole body, such as migraines, muscle contractions, gastrointestinal spasms, and calf, foot and toe cramps. It is also used in treating central nervous symptoms of vertigo and confusion.
19. Obstetrics and Gynecology:- Mg prevents Premenstrual Syndrome; prevents dysmenorrhea (cramping pain during menses); is important in the treatment of infertility; and alleviates premature contractions, preeclampsia, and eclampsia in pregnancy. Intravenous Mg is given in obstetrical wards for pregnancy-induced hypertension and to lessen the risk of cerebral palsy and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). Mg should be a required supplement for pregnant mothers.
20. Osteoporosis:- Use of calcium with Vitamin D to enhance calcium absorption without a balancing amount of Mg causes further Mg deficiency, which triggers a cascade of events leading to bone loss.
21. Raynaud’s Syndrome:- Mg helps relax the spastic blood vessels that cause pain and numbness of the fingers.
22. Tooth decay:- Mg deficiency causes an unhealthy balance of phosphorus and calcium in saliva, which damages teeth.
Article Source:- http://drcarolyndean.com/magnesium_miracle
IMPORTANT NOTE:- If you're suffering from diabetes, intestinal disease, heart disease or kidney disease, you should not take magnesium without doctor's advice. It is always recommended to seek doctor's advice before taking any supplements.