Low number of Red Blood Cells in the body causes "Anemia". It is the most common disorder of Red Blood Cell. A person suffering from Anemia looks pale and weak due to low red blood cells content in the body. The red blood cells carry oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body. Haemoglobin is the protein in red blood cells that allows them to carry that oxygen.
Some of the Common Causes of Anemia are:-
1. Deficency of iron is the most common cause of Anemia. Poor diet, multiple pregnancies in ladies, hookworm infestation are some of the reasons that leads to Anemia.
2. Excessive menstrual flow or heavy periods is also one of the main causes of anemia in women.
3. Bleeding Piles or internal bleeding due to ulcers in the stomach.
4. Sometimes people especially teenagers, they go on a crash diets. They neglect food and nutrition and end up being anemic.
5.Thalassemias and Haemoglobin Abnormalities is anemia due to defective formation of blood.
Other Probable Causes of Anemia:-
1. Failure of body to absorb vitamin B12 from the foods.
2. Chemotheraphy Drugs.
3. Endocrine disorders (Low Thyroid activity).
4. Heavy Alcohol Usage
5. Low production of red blood corpuscles because of loss of activity of the bone marrow.
6. Lack of Hydrochloric acid in the stomach.
7. Heavy loss of blood due to injury.
8. Deficiency of vitamins, especially of folate, vitamin C, vitamin B12, B6, Folic acid, and/or copper. This type of anemia is referred to as vitamin deficiency anemia.
9. Chronic diseases like tuberculosis, chronic renal failure, etc.
10. Deficiency of iron in the diet resulting in low formation of red blood cells.
There is often, no symptoms. But, a person suffering from anemia looks pale, fatigue and gets tired very easily. He or she might develop cold hands and feet. The nails are brittle, headache, dizziness and shortness of breathe etc are the most common symptoms.
How to Diagnose Anemia:-
Inorder to diagnose anemia, the doctor will probably test your blood. If the doctor finds out that you are suffering from Low Blood Cell or Anemia, you may need to do some other tests so as to find out the cause.
Treatment of Anemia:-
There are different types of anemia and its causes. If anemia is due to losing of too much blood, the doctor will need to find out the cause of the blood loss. If it is because of poor diet and nutrition, the doctor may ask him or her to have a proper balanced diet and supplement it with some iron pills.
HOW TO TREAT ANEMIA AT HOME:-
A person suffering from anemia should eat a well-balanced diet. Food rich in iron are effective in curing anemia and that should include raw vegetables and fresh fruits rich in iron.
Intake of Vitamin B12 Rich Diet Food:-
This vitamin B12 is usually found in animal protein such as in meat, kidney and liver. However, there are other sources of vitamin BI2 such as dairy products that includes milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.
Intake of Beets:-
Beet juice contains potassium, phosphorus, calcium, sulphur, iodine, iron, protein, fat, vitamins B1 B2, B6, niacin, and vitamin P. Beet helps in the formation of red blood cells. The red beet juice helps to strengthen the body and its resistance power. Therefore, a person suffering from anemia should include beet in his or her diet. You can include beet in salad as well.
The diet should include food rich in vitamin C. Vitamin C is required for the absorption of iron in the body. One should include lots of citrus fruits in your diet, such as orange, lemon, indian gooseberry, etc.
The leaves of fenugreek helps in the formation of blood in the body. The seeds of fenugreek are also an expensive treat for person suffering from anemia since it is rich in iron.
Lettuce contains a considerable amount of iron. It can, thus, be used as a good quality tonic food for anemia.
Spinach is a green leafy vegetable which is rich in iron and vitamin A. It helps in the formation of haemoglobin and red blood cells.
Soyabean is rich in protein and iron content.
Nuts are a great source of iron. Nuts are full of protein and one the best iron rich foods. Pistachio nut has the highest amount of iron content. Almonds have copper to the extent of 1.15 mg for each 100 gm. The copper along with iron and vitamins helps in the synthesis of haemoglobin in the body. Soak about 7 almonds in the water overnight. Strain away the water in the morning and grind it into a paste. Have this paste in the morning.
There is an old saying, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away". Eat 2-3 apples on daily basis. Apple is a rich source of iron. You can drink it as a juice too.
Egg contains protein, minerals and iron. One egg has about 0.6 mg of iron content. You can include 2 boiled eggs in your morning breakfast diet.
Raisins, apricots and prunes are very high in iron.
Rich in iron and B Vitamins. Figs are excellent substitutes for unnatural sweets.
Excellent source of vitamin A and iron.
Beans are fully packed of fiber and non-heme iron.
Fish are one of the most iron rich foods which should be included in the diet of an anemic person. Fish is also loaded with omega-3 fatty acids.
Black sesame seeds is a good source of iron.
Honey contains iron, copper and manganese. Therefore, it helps in building haemoglobin in the body.
There are a number of other foods which are rich in iron content. You can have bananas, black grapes, plums, strawberries, onions, squash, carrots, radish, celery and tomatoes.
Symptoms of Anemia:-
There are no symptoms of anemia in some cases. Inorder to diagnose anemia, the doctor will probably test your blood. If the doctor finds out that you are suffering from Low Blood Cell or Anemia, you may need to do some other tests so as to find out the cause. There are different types of anemia and its causes. These symptoms can differ from person to person and so is the case severity.
- The pale skin due to loss of blood.
- The discoloration of nails and lips.
- The fatigue and weakness.
- Indigestion, constipation, flatulence and other such digestion related problems.
- Feeling dizzy and lack of vitality.
- Cold hands and feet.
- Rapid and irregular heartbeat.
- Brittle hair.
- Shortness of breathe on exertion
- Lack of energy
- Dull & tired looking eyes.
- Impaired memory
A type of anemia known as "Pica" where the person suffering from anemia crave for eating substances other than food, such as, coal, dirt, starch or hair. This is one of the anemia signs indicating towards nutritional deficiency.