Figs are seasonal fruits. It is a small pear-shaped hollow fruit that grows on the ficus tree. Figs are from the botanical family "Ficus Carica" and is a part of mulberry family. Figs maybe one of the first fruits ever to be cultivated by man.
Figs come in different range of colors and textures depending upon its varieties. The color of the skin of this fruit can be green, brown, purple or almost black. Fig trees produces large amounts of fruits. These fruits are juicy, sweet and delicious. It is delicate and tend to get spoiled very quickly, therefore, figs are often dried to preserve its taste either by exposure to sunlight or through an artificial process. The ripe fresh fruits should be eaten within a day or two after purchasing. Dried fig fruits can be eaten as snacks. Figs are very healthy and nutritious.
Health Benefits of Figs:-
Figs are high in dietary fiber and natural sugars. It is rich in vitamins and minerals. Figs are an excellent source of calcium, potassium, magnesium, copper, iron and manganese. Dried figs have high nutritive value.
1. Constipation:- Figs acts as a natural laxative (either taken fresh or dried). It is high in dietary fiber and hence, promote healthy bowel movement. Figs are useful in treating chronic constipation problem.
2. Helps to Maintain a pH Level:- Figs are highly alkaline fruits. They help to maintain pH levels in the body.
3. Helps to Maintain Sugar Level:- Fig leaves have healing properties. The leaves of the fig is known to have an anti-diabetic properties. Fig leaves helps to reduce the amount of insulin intake by a person suffering from diabetes.
4. Treatment of Various Respiratory Disorders:- It is beneficial in the treatment of asthma and whooping cough. It helps to soothe irritated bronchial passages.
5. Aids to Weight Loss:- Fig is an excellent source of dietary fiber. It is an excellent food for weight loss since it helps in reducing weight.
6. Hypertension:- Potassium deficiency or low intake of potassium rich foods can lead to diseases like high blood pressure. Figs are a very good source of potassium and soluble fiber. The soluble fiber which is called "pectin" and potassium helps in reducing blood cholesterol in the body.
7. Reduce the Risk of Colon and Breast Cancer:- Figs acts as a protection against post-menopausal breast cancer. It can also prevent colon cancer.
8. Helps to Prevent Coronary Heart Diseases:- Dried figs contains phenol, Omega-3 and Omega-6. These fatty acids helps to reduce the risk of coronary heart diseases.
9. Lower the Triglycerides:- Fig leaves can help to lower triglycerides levels. High in triglycerides means a person is at risk for heart disease and obesity.
10. Helps to Strengthen Bones in the Body:- The presence of calcium and potassium in figs helps to prevent bone thinning, promote bone density and guard against disease like osteoporosis. Calcium helps to strengthen the bones in the body and potassium in the fruit counteracts the loss of urinary calcium and thereby, preventing bones from thinning out.
11. Insomnia:- Figs contains "Tryptophan" that helps to induce sleep and get rid of sleeping disorder like insomnia.
12. Relief for Sore Throat:- It helps to heal sore throat problems as it has high mucilage content.
13. Relieves Fatigue and Boost Memory:- Eating figs helps to reduce fatigue as well as boost your memory power.
14. Treat Skin Problems:- It acts as a very good skin cleanser and helps in prevention and curing of skin problems like acne and pimples. It can also cure inflammations like abscesses, warts and boils. The juice obtained from green figs is effective for softening and treating corns.
15. Excellent Calcium Alternatives:- Figs are rich in calcium. If you are allergic to dairy products, the intake of figs in your diet is a must in order to avoid deficiency of calcium in your body.
16. Anemia:- Figs are rich in iron content. If you are suffering from iron deficiency disease such as anemia, you must include figs in your diet.
17. Good for your Digestive System:- Figs are beneficial for your digestive system. It aids to good digestion and improves body metabolism. Daily intake of figs is very beneficial to those who are suffering from piles or hemorrhoids.
18. Antioxidants:- Figs contains antioxidants. They are rich in flavonoids and polyphenols.
19. Prevents Macular Degeneration:- This is a medical condition that affects the vision in the older adults. Figs can lower the risk of age-related macular degeneration or ARMD.
20. Builds Resistance Power:- The regular intake of figs can help you to build your body resistance power and it can also supply you with natural daily requirements of vitamins.
21. Promotes Overall Well-Being:- Figs promote the overall well-being of your health and it is an excellent aphrodisiac.
22. Treatment for Toothaches:- Squeeze the juice out and apply to your aching tooth. Repeat every 15 minutes until the pain ceases to stop.
23. Sexual Weakness:- Since ages, figs has been used as a treatment for reducing sexual weakness.
Note:- Excessive intake of figs may result in diarrhea. Also, figs contains substantial amount of oxalates and therefore, if you are suffering from any kidney related disease or gall bladder problem, do not eat figs. Figs are very sweet and too much of sweet might cause you tooth decay problem. Lastly, dried figs are usually treated with sulphur dioxide in order to preserve the figs and maintain its color. Just in case, if you are sensitive to sulfites, search for sulfite free ones such as organic figs which is a very good alternative.