Antioxidants are substances or nutrients in our foods that can prevent or slow the oxidative damage to our body. These antioxidants are naturally present in fruits and vegetables. Research studies have shown that antioxidants can help to protect the body against damaging free radicals. These free radicals are often linked with heart diseases, cancer and age related problems like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases.
Supplementing diet rich in antioxidants can slow down the process of aging. Antioxidant improves your immune system and helps it to function properly. It can also reduce the chances of developing cataracts.
The simplest way to expose yourself to antioxidant benefits is by consuming more organic fruits and vegetables. Natural antioxidants can be obtained from our daily diet by eating antioxidant rich foods. The list below describes some of the most common antioxidant rich foods:-
1. Vitamin A and Beta-carotene can be found in bright colored fruits and vegetables such as carrots, cantaloupe, apricots, pumpkin, squash, sweet potatoes, lettuce, mangoes, etc. Green leafy vegetables like spinach is a rich source of beta-carotene.
2. Lycopene is a potent antioxidant which can be found in tomatoes and tomato based products, watermelon, papaya, guava, apricots, pink grapefruit, etc.
3. Lutein is associated with healthy eyesight. Eat dark green leafy vegetables such as collard greens, kale, kiwi, broccoli, etc.
4. Selenium is one of the most important antioxidant enzymes which can be found in fish and shellfish, red meat, grains, eggs, garlic, brazil nuts, etc.
5. Vitamin C rich foods like oranges, lime, strawberries, tomatoes, etc.
6. Vitamin E is found in many oils like soybean oils and liver oils, nuts and seeds, whole grains, green leafy vegetables, etc.
Note:- Make sure to include antioxidants rich diet food everyday. Antioxidant is a secret to stay young and prevent degenerative diseases.
Eat Healthy and Prevent Diseases!