Vitamins are essential nutrients required by the human body for proper growth and development. Vitamins are natural substances found in organic food substances such as plants and animals. Human body needs vitamins to stay healthy, prevent diseases and disorders. It is important for nomal body functions and vitality.
One of the best way to get your daily dose of essential vitamins is directly through the food that you eat everyday. Fruits and vegetables are an excellent sources of vitamins. There are 13 essential vitamins. They are vitamin A, B (Thiamine, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-6, Vitamin B-12 and Folate), C, D, E, and K. Each vitamin has a special role to play within the human body. Vitamins helps to regulate body's metabolism, proper growth of bones and tissues in the body, etc. Lack of vitamins in the body causes "deficiency diseases" such as night blindness, rickets, scurvy and so on.
Human body cannot synthesize vitamins (however, there are few exceptions) . It has to come from your diet (Food that you eat). This is why proper balanced diet is a must. You can also take dietary supplements such as multivitamins for optimal health.
There are two types of vitamins:- Water-Soluble and Fat-Soluble. This is based on how they are absorbed and used by the human body.
- Water-soluble vitamins are those vitamins that are not stored in the body. You have to replenish them each day. Water-soluble vitamins are easily destroyed or washed out during food storage and preparations. Vitamin C (Citrus Fruits) and B (Cereal Grains, Legumes, Fresh Vegetables, meat, fish, eggs, etc.) are water-soluble vitamins.
- Fat-soluble vitamins are those vitamins that are stored in the body and are eliminated much more slowly from the body than the water-soluble vitamins. Fat-soluble vitamins are stored in the body for long periods and this is why, it is said that, it has a greater risk of toxicity than water-soluble vitamins when consumed in excess(incase of vitamin supplements - Eating natural organic food substances will not cause any harm or toxicity in the body). Vitamin A, D, E and K are known as fat-soluble vitamins. Fat-soluble vitamins helps to boost your immune system and keep your bones strong.
Note:- One should take dietary supplements only after consultation with the doctor.
Vitamins are natural substances found in organic food substances such as plants and animals. Human body needs vitamins to stay healthy, prevent diseases and disorders. It is essential for nomal body functions and vitality. The best way to get your daily dose of essential vitamins is directly through the food you eat everyday. Fruits and vegetables are an excellent source of vitamins. However, if your diet is lacking in providing your body with all the important nutrients, you may benefit from taking vitamin supplements.
Vitamin supplements usually come in either as pill or tablet, capsule, gummy, chewable or in the liquid form (Depending on the specific vitamin). Vitamin supplements are available with single ingredient or as multi-vitamins that contains some or all of the essential daily vitamins and these supplements can help prevent deficiencies and diseases in the human body. The following groups of people may need to take vitamin supplements :
- If you're Pregnant or Planning to become Pregnant
- If you're Lactating or Breast Feeding
- Woman who experiences heavy bleeding during her menstrual period
- The Elderly or Older Adults
- If you're allergic to particular foods
- If you have a medical condition that affects how your body absorbs or uses nutrients such as chronic diarrhea, food allergies, food intolerance or a disease of the liver, gallbladder, intestines or pancreas
- Malnutrition or Undernutrition
- Poor Diet
- Low calorie Diet or if you're a Crash Dieter
- Vegans and some Vegetarian Diets
Types of Vitamin Supplements:-
Vitamin Supplements come either as Single Vitamin or Multi Vitamin.
Single Vitamin:- Single vitamin contains one particular vitamin. Single vitamin supplements are better suited to a specific nutrient deficiencies or in support/prevention of certain diseases.
Multi Vitamin:- Multivitamin contains two or more vitamins. Multivitamins are prescribed for those who need extra vitamins in their body. It is advantegeous for those who do not eat a healthy balanced diet regularly as well as good for those who cannot receive the full benefit of the vitamins contained in the food they eat. Multivitamins come in regular tablets, chewable tablets, capsules or as oral liquid. Never take more than the recommended dose of a multivitamin. You should avoid taking more than one multivitamin product at the same time unless your doctor recommends you to. Taking similar vitamin products together can result in a vitamin overdose or serious side effects. An overdose of vitamins A, D, E, or K can cause serious or life-threatening side effects.
Note:- Consult with your doctor or a dietitian about which supplements and what doses might be appropriate for you. Also, if you're taking any medications, enquire about possible side effects.